Design & Quality
Whether you need to develop a new caster concept or want to modify an existing item to work with your design, we have the engineering experience and technology to bring your concept from a working design to a finished product.
Colson has a fully degreed engineering staff with over 75 years of accumulated caster experience. All modeling is completed in 3-D and can be transferred to a 3-D printer that models a fully functioning design in ABS plastic within hours. In addition, our main operating system for new designs is the 3-D Solid Works.
Colson has taken quality very seriously for over a century. Our Engineering Test Lab is the most extensive in the caster industry. That’s why we offer the industry’s leading warranty for all Colson branded products, 3 years.
To assure Colson products are of the highest quality, we test to the Institute of Caster and Wheel Manufacturers (ICWM), National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) and Restriction of Hazardous Substance (RoHS) Compliance standards where applicable. In addition, Colson continually evaluates all products to make sure our clients receive the best quality products at every price point.
Testing capabilities include the following:
- Static and Dynamic Testing for a complete range of casters and loads from 100 lbs to 3000 lbs per caster at speeds from 1.5 mph to 20 mph.
- Impact Test from 100 in-lbs to over 30,000 in-lbs.
- Proprietary Ergonomic Tester accurately measures ergonomic values such as start up and sustained forces, along with forces to initiate swiveling was recently engineered by Colson staff.
- Environmental chamber that creates a temperature range from -80F to +350F.
- Unique to Colson is the 3D printer. This stand alone system builds 3D models from CAD files by extruding thin layers of liquefied ABS plastic using a computer controlled extruder head.